Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Enter, the Post Apartheid Zone...

After traveling for 3 weeks with the family my program officially started about a week ago. We have moved to Durban and will move in with our host families on Friday. Durban is a beautiful city. Yesterday we had our first day to explore the city. We rode to the top of the soccer stadium where we could have a view of the city. The Indian ocean is magnificent. (besides the sharks that is!) The city is wonderful looking and is much more African than say Cape town. We are still all adjusting but its going so well. I am so pleased to be in an eclectic group of kids. Not everyone would choose this program and I am really beginning to see that.

We also started are Zulu language program which is full of clicking. We have learned three clicks. They are quite fun but also distracting and challenging. My tongue has to learn to move and build up new muscles. Yes is yebo and how are you in unjani. That’s all for now maybe Ill post more Zulu language skills so we can all converse together!

Finally, please everyone send me addresses so I can send postcards. I will not be sending mass emails but rather having frequent posts. Feel free to respond but I am just to busy here to individually reply to everyone all the time. Please don’t take it personally I have created this blog so I can keep the love ones in my life aware of how I am doing both emotionally and physically.

Note on the hoop:

I have had a lot of time to practice with the hoop and almost have leg hoping down. I thankfully have had a fellow spinner in the group. Elias is a poi and staff spinner and is wonderful. He has been teaching me poi, which I will hopefully translate into my hooping and meanwhile I have been showing him the joy of the hoop! I hope that this weekend I will be able to get out into Cato Manor township and practice and show my sisi’s and bhuti’s how to hoop.

No comments:

Post a Comment