Monday, September 15, 2014

Oaxaca: Holy Mole

Oaxaca, Mexico May 2014!  A short off season break to get away from the mud of Colorado snow melt and expereince the flavors of south central Mexico.  To be honest I never considered backpacking to Mexico until my friend from college, Andy, mentioned the idea of visiting Oaxaca city and the coast for a few weeks.  I did a bit of research, and my restless legs, wandering mind, and belly all agreed.  Needless to say I have thus far thoroughly enjoyed non-resort Mexico.

A bit on Oaxaca.  First off, everyone should, if they already have not, try Molé.  its amazing.  A strange combination of chocolate, chili, and maybe tomatillos.  This thick sauce really tastes good with anything.
Every corner in Oaxaca is full of flavorful treats that are dangerous for a foodie like myself who holds no limits to what she will try (even crickets!).


Oaxaca is colorful.  Actually Mexico is colorful.  Most of the buildings are cement or stucco.  They are painted in brilliant colors of blue, purple, and green.  People are dressed in brilliant colors and embridery.  I generally think when I see pictures of typical clothing thats this will be just for show.  However, homes seem to be decorated in woven cloths and painted pottery.  Some places almost look sureal and I have found myself thinking "really, is this for a photo or do you actually live this way!"  Andy and I have had so much fun merely exploring all corners of the city for its utter cuteness and to speak with all the friendly shop keepers who help us with our mediocre (at best) Spanish.


Needless to say Oaxaca is a fabulous city and worth the exploration.
Also, Andy got an awesome hat!

No comments:

Post a Comment