Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Choosing My Ethical Battles

It is always important for me to remember when and when not to fight social and political fights.  As a kid this usually came through in social battles and lead to many struggles with my peers.  As I grew older it became when to keep my mouth closed over my political opinion or learning to accept that each person approaches the world differently

A delicacy in parts of Asia is Shark Fin Soup.  In many shops you see giant fins in windows that go for huge sums of money.  Many restaurants have fin soup on their menu, along with other types of shark foods.  However, shark fin does not have much of a flavor.  The soup is spiced with other meats and spices to give the soup any sort of taste.  Today the soup is more of a tradition than an actual taste preference.  Sharks are also caught for the novelty of the catch. Most of the fins are not eaten in Indonesia, but shipped to countries like Malaysia, Thailand, and China.

To catch sharks, boats use the bottom hook dragging method that is still seen sometimes in places like Alaska for catching larger fish (we also have activist groups who try and stop this fishing practice as it does not regulate what other types of aquatic game is picked up).  Additionally, Sharks cannot be farmed for a more "sustainable" method.  Due to all of this, sharks are rapidly becoming extinct. 

 In the west there are many activist who are trying to end the fishing of sharks.  While traveling in the Gili Islands of Indonesia I met many divers who were trying to educate local fisherman on the trouble with catching sharks for sales in Indonesian and international markets.  They also had local fisherman cutting dragging nets off of boats to stop them from catching anymore sharks.  Dragging kills the sharks and the coral reefs, ultimately destroying the biodiversity of the entire region.

Learning more about this issue I had to choose when and when not to fight this fight. A few times I walked out of restaurants that served shark and other rare fish on their menus.   I asked myself, "is making a verbal statement appropriate or should I just personally not eat there for this reason."  How vocal should I be on environmental ethical and political issues in foreign countries.  Sharks, Whales, political instability will face me no matter where I go. 

Before opening my historically big mouth in each and every instant I do not agree with I really need to look at when it is my time to include myself in the struggle.  Currently, I have decided to first try and read up on the subject.  I also try and talk with a few different people on their opinion. Then there is also a matter of safety!  All points I am still contemplating and taking issue by issue.  When it comes to Shark Fin Soup I will not eat at restaurants that serve shark (I was the 3 year old yelling "save the Matinees before I even knew what Green Peace was!).

On the small islands of the Gilis and in Bali I recognized it was acceptable to explain to the owner why I was leaving.  Other places it is a silent decision.  I cannot solve all the world problems in one go nor will yelling and screaming about it help! 

Political issues are not the only ethical type of battle I have taken the time to try and rethink how I traditionally have dealt with.  Historically, social issues have been equally, if not more, challenging.

Since traveling I have had to hone in on Margot Mead and accept the idea of cultural relativity. To me this has meant not only look at a culture from their own perspective but, to also look at groups of other   travelers and new friends from their own point of view and what their fun may be. A few days ago a friend said to me while I complained of some girls playing loud pop music, "Lauren remember this is how they have fun, don't let it affect you."  He was absolutely right.  It may not have been as large of an ethical struggle as my Shark activism or consumerist culture battles but it still counted.  As soon ads i accepted it I relaxed and enjoyed my night.  Others nights when I joined new friends ignored their (uncreative, overplayed, and sometimes catchy :P) pop music to instead relax over a beer or go out for a night I ended up making many friends.  

Ethical issue whether global or personal the timeliness of when to fight inward, outward, or when to *ignore* makes enormous impact on my personal relationship, professional relationships, and even my relationship with myself.  A valuable lesson this little traveler has picked up.

Taken at Alobar 1000 in Kathmandu

No comments:

Post a Comment