Saturday, March 16, 2013

Northern Thailand: Thai Winters

Someone told me there was such a thing as a Thai winter.  So, trying to avoid the idea of excessive heat I took to the road less traveled to the north of Thailand for three weeks and it had made all the difference.

Unfortunately in Chiang Mai Thai winter is a myth.  However, it is a fantastic city.  I stayed for a week at Spicy Thai Backpackers which is the best hostel I have ever stayed at.  It feels like a family living room with one communal table with a big living room that  has a TV with tons of movies.  The hostel is small enough that everyone knows each other and can fit into the back of the owners van!

 There are constantly planned events like BBQ's and outings to the night market or local karaoke bars.  Needless to say I made a few friends there who I spent the next weeks with.
List of things I did in Chiang Mai
-Thai Massages!
-Temples- here there are many made of old hard wood vs painted with cheap gold paint
-Hiked to the highest point in Chiang Mai to see the city.  The the top is 5,499 feet but I am not sure where we started.
-Took a cooking class
-Karaoke!
-Lots of night markets
-Relaxed at a pool
-Ate lots of really tasty food

After I traveled to the Mae Hong Son Province to see the mountains and the real Thai winter.  It kind of exists!  At night is cold enough to sleep with a quilt and wear jeans and a sweater.  But during the day all you want to do it sit in a hammock or ride a motor bike to produce some form of wind.  So the jury is still out....
 - The White Temple in Chiang Rai

Either way I made it to Pai, a very relaxed little town, with hots springs, canyons, mountains, and lots of waterfalls.  I stayed at the sister hostel to Spicy Thai (Spicy Pai) which was also great.  It also helped that I traveled up there with a group of friends.  The town had a great hippy vibe a A TEA SHOP!  I had not had a proper cup of tea since Sapa Vietnam so I was very excited and convinced all my new friends to join me (they were pretty skeptical but I think my enthusiasm made them change their minds!).  I also learned to ride a scooter.... I was amazed.

Now I am heading back to Bangkok with a stop of in Sukhothai to see some ancient Thai ruins.  My flight for Nepal leaves on Tuesday the 18th of March.  Time to open the next chapter of my adventure.

Wishing my friends and family all the best.

Signed: A happy Traveler :o)






No comments:

Post a Comment