Thursday, October 28, 2010

and so it begins... again

Today is about the first official day of our independent study projects. We turn in our proposals tomorrow and hope they are approved by some official board. Last night we moved into our huge house for the next 5 weeks. This place is fabulous its an old farm house that is bright bright blue almost turquoise actually. 11 of us will live there together and hope it remains as fun as last night. we began our new home experience by making homemade calzones which were so fabulous thanks to Annie Schnieder and Josh Wronski.

So it has been a while since I updated and even longer since i have written in my mandatory journal!

Last week we spent a few days working at a women's prison. We joined Phoenix Zululand in there restorative justice program. I wish I had more to say about this program but I found it uneventful and almost an opportunity for the prisoners to leave there cells. The work was so emotionally advanced for people who are petty thieves and are only in for a short amount of time. not to mention few spoke english and non well enough to understand these tough emotional and justice concepts in a different language than their own.

To be honest the best part of this program was the one on one time we had to chat about what ever we liked with the prisoners. This seems like a big statement from a girl who spent so much time at an emotional growth program. however these work shops seemed more like power complexes than any insight type program (any monarch kids reading this????). I had a hard time not thinking of how our workshops were run and how there is always a power element in teaching people how to regulate there feelings and gain responsibility in their lives. I mean just look at Timothy Earl! I could rant for longer but I am running out of internet data on my 50mb of free time.

P.S. its almost my birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment